Technology Services Technician
Job no: 501377
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
As part of the Technology Services Team, the Technology Services Technician is responsible for providing end-user facing services to optimize employees’ experience with the portfolio of services and technology offered at UMass Lowell by IT. Services are provided in a variety of mediums including face-to-face desk-side support, walk-up traffic, telephone or remote support and video conferencing.
TechServices Technicians require an aptitude for working with applications and systems to undertake investigation, diagnosis and resolution of employee service requests and are responsible for ensuring those employee’s continued success. Requests for help will range from straightforward requests for advice to more complicated technical issues. From how-to questions to break-fix support calls, the TechServices Technician will provide exemplary customer service and support, often going above and beyond to serve the needs of UMass Lowell.
As a key piece of delivering service excellence, the TechServices Technician thoroughly documents all service requests and associated work into the call-tracking and incident management system of record. Documentation includes a clearly defined description of the problem, complete troubleshooting steps, customer communications, equipment asset information and a complete description of the resolution. In some cases the TechService Technician will be writing internal and customer-facing knowledge base articles.
When the Technology Services Technician is unable to solve a customer’s issue personally, they will identify and bring in resources across IT to rapidly reach ideal conclusions. When such an issue arises, the Tech Services technician is responsible for managing the overall service operation and delivery.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- High School Diploma or G.E.D./equivalent
- Requires CompTIA A+ certification and at least one industry-recognized client services IT certification, such as MCSA:Windows 10, ACMT, or ability to achieve both certifications within 6 months
- Requires 2 years of experience in a large Information Technology environment providing services or call-center functions encompassing desk-side, remote or phone support activities
- Requires ITIL Foundations certification, or the ability to have such certification within 6 months
- Requires extraordinary customer service skills and the desire and ability to go “above-and-beyond” on any given ticket to ensure customer success
- Superior written and oral communication skills; the ability to clearly and articulately explain technical concepts to non-technical users
- Experience working as part of a team to achieve group success
- Strong problem solving and research skills. Must be able to encounter new problems and devise solutions without guidance or support
- Proficiency with mobile device operating systems such as iOS and Android
- Requires proficiency with installing, configuring and operating Microsoft Windows and Mac OS
- Superior organization and follow-through skills are essential; must take initiative to ensure customer success
- Thorough understanding of Local Area Networks and TCP/IP protocols
- Proficiency with desktop and laptop hardware repair and replacement
- A passion for the Information Technology industry
- Experience supporting Microsoft Office technologies
- A critical eye and excellent analytical skills
- Strong sense of professionalism and confidentiality
- Demonstrable knowledge of IT security best practices
- Previous experience using Active Directory for account management purposes
- Previous experience with industry standard systems management tools
- Preference is given to candidates with previous Higher Education experience
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Knowledge of virtual desktop operations and troubleshooting is preferable
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend