General Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Dean for the College of Engineering, this individual is responsible for overseeing and facilitating all activities in the Lawrence Lin Makerspace. This includes the delivery of College courses, training courses, outreach programs, as well as working with students on projects that may be from classes, competitions, or entrepreneurial efforts. Must work with Faculty and Staff across the College to meet programmatic needs. Requires supervising and overseeing staff and students to deliver programming. Must be competent with both design and technical fabrication skills as well as supervisory skills.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Operate prototyping facility such as to maximize access and use by students and faculty for lab courses, project courses, club projects, student team/individual projects etc. This includes interacting with and advising students on project conception, design and/or manufacturing, supporting faculty with project-based course deployment, as well as supervising student assistants in the space as required. Goal is to move to 24/7 student access/usage model.
2. Develop prototyping/makerspace facility to meet teaching and project needs, as well as training opportunities. Oversee and potentially deliver educational programming in conjunction with faculty members, including lab courses, as required. Includes analysis of new technologies; maintenance of current technologies; and housekeeping in general.
3. Knowledge of operating equipment such as lathe, mill, 3D printers, laser cutters, and other prototyping as well as precision machining equipment. Must instruct others, including students, faculty and staff, on the safe use, care and routine maintenance of all of this equipment – this includes improving and deploying safety and machine operation training.
4. Oversee all aspects of non-profit career development and corporate partnership programs tied to Makerspace. Assist with oversight and delivery of MassMEP Collaborative Program. Work with partners to determine course schedule, present/develop curriculum. Attend professional development workshops as necessary with partner groups (WPI, MEP, et al.)
5. Develop displays and provide tours of labs to educate parents and prospective students on project-based learning experiences and the correlation of projects toward meeting course requirements and learning outcomes. Work with Dean’s office/SLICE Coordinator to develop STEM pipeline programming for local/regional middle and high school students. Assist with “future engineers” summer camp and bridge program as needed.
Other Job Duties:
1. Performs other related duties as assigned.
2. Support laboratory operations throughout the College as necessary.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Masters Degree with 10+ years of demonstrated experience in design and/or manufacturing, or
- Masters Degree in Engineering/related field with 5+ years of experience
- Self-starter, reliable, motivated in one’s work, with a demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic team environment
Understanding of electronics/mechanical concept development, electronics/mechanical design, rapid prototyping (e.g., 3D printers, laser cutters, etc.) and advanced manufacturing processes (CNC mill and lathe) that includes, but may not be limited to: wood, metal, plastic and electronics
- Well-developed conceptual, analytical and communications skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to create, read, and interpret engineering drawings
- The ability to work effectively with diverse populations including students, staff, and faculty
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application.