Senior Technologist, Nanofabrication Lab
Job no: 518651
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Core Research Facilities
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
The Senior Technologist, Nanofabrication is responsible for the daily operations of the Nanofabrication laboratory (NFL) working with the Sr. Laboratory Manager in the operations and maintenance of major research infrastructure in a class 100 cleanroom with 40+ pieces of lithography, metrology, etch and deposition equipment. Primary responsibilities include providing technical expertise to assist students, faculty, and industry users in the operation of equipment and development of experimental design strategies. This position requires participation in the UML emergency response team, along with obtaining a training certification as an “Emergency Responder.” Reports to the Sr. Laboratory Manager, Nanofabrication Core Lab.
Essential Job Duties - Daily tasks include:
- Provide technical applications expertise and supports the NFL and its users.
- Operate fabrication equipment and document micro and nanofabrication processes.
- Manage client activity. Participate in daily coordination of user reservations, monitor reservation schedule, and identify scheduling issues, document key issues.
- Develop baseline processes to ensure optimal equipment performance. Sustain and improve existing processes.
- Instrument preparation (material, tooling) and maintenance ahead of user reservations
- Provide foundry service as required.
- Troubleshoot/optimize of laboratory protocols and workflows.
- Contribute to writing standard operating procedure (SOP) documents related to: instrument operations; experiment methods; instrument techniques.
- Provide for lab equipment wellness and safety walkthrough inspections.
- Ensure inventory control of laboratory supplies and consumables.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment and conduct instrument performance measures
- Assist in complex maintenance and repairs with Sr Manager or vendor(s) to resolve any instrument issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Enforce laboratory safety procedures and protocols. Instruct both external and internal researchers in the proper and safe use lab equipment.
- Participate in cross-functional partnerships to address the needs of customer base and enhance internal workflows.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, and managers as well as work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Availability and ability to remain on call 24/7 in cases of emergency.
- Due to the physical aspects and hazards associated with toxic materials and gasses associated with this position, the ability to wear Level A emergency turn out gear, SCBA, respirators, lift 60 pounds, good visual and hearing ability is required.
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Ensure optimum service to all internal and external partners and be responsive to all requests for service and information.
- Maintain an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
- The candidate will share lab space in proximity to clients from outside companies. The candidate needs to be aware how they carry themselves as their interactions reflect on the University and the Core Research Facility.
Other Job Duties:
- Cover for the Sr. Manager/Director as required.
- Follow and enforce Core Research Facilities Guidelines and University policies.
- Participate in the NFL and CRF team meetings.
- Manage toxic and hazardous materials in related laboratories in accordance to federal, state, and local regulations.
- Coordinate proper collection and disposal of laboratory wastes.
- Follow and enforce prescribed safety precautions, University and department rules and regulations.
- Maintain work areas in clean, orderly, and safe condition.
- Assist Sr. Manager/Director during tours and customer visits.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
• Bachelor’s Degree in materials / physical sciences, chemistry, electrical or computer hardware engineering or a related field with 5-7 yrs relevant experience
*Will consider applicants at the non-senior level (Technologist, Nanofabrication) at grade P18 with a HS Diploma or GED/equivalent with 3 or more years direct experience working with semiconductor development equipment and processes.
- General device design and fabrication knowledge (e.g., MEMS, microfluidics, etc.)
- Experience in micro and nano-fabrication processes
- 1-3 years of Photolithography experience in a Cleanroom environment
- Knowledge thin-film deposition, electron-beam lithography, photolithography, CVD, PECVD, ALD, sputtering and reactive ion etching and an understanding of facilities that support the operation of a cleanroom
- Excellent problem-solving skills, organizational skills, ability to work with frequent interruptions, and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of safety and working procedures with hazardous gases and chemicals
- Experience working within a research laboratory or manufacturing environment and familiarity with quality, compliance, and regulatory standards
- Solid understanding and extensive working experience in sample preparation and laboratory operations
- Ability to learn training protocols and train new users
- Demonstrated ability to extract complicated technical information from faculty and scientific staff and translate to a less technical audience
- Excellent written, organizational, and documentation skills
- Strong communication skills
- Quick learner, self-motivator, flexible, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Serve on a 24/7 on-call basis as the secondary contact (to the Sr. Manager/Director) for Emergency Response for all Clean Room Activity
- Support and be a working member of the EHS Emergency Response Team for ETIC and train for SCBA. Must be physically capable of getting into SCBA outfit and assist with rescue of personnel requiring emergency assistance
- Wear clean room garments, PPE, and set example of observing clean room practices
- Wastewater Treatment License Level 2 or greater
- DOT and RCRA Certification
- Professional organization memberships such at AVS & IEEE
- Knowledge of Toxic Gas Monitoring systems and the integration to fire prevention systems
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an SEIU Professional Union position, Grade P19 *for Sr. senior level. See qualifications, if not "senior" will consider P18.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend