General Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Associate Athletic Director for Academic and Student Services, the Athletic Academic Coordinator monitors the academic performance of student-athletes to ensure success and compliance with NCAA Bylaws, America East, Hockey East, and University policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Monitors the academic eligibility and progress towards degree of assigned sports including full-time enrollment, percentage of degree credits, designation of majors and minors, class registration, and all applicable NCAA Bylaw 14 rules and regulations.
2. Provides academic support for assigned sports to include: coordinating academic plans; meeting with student-athletes in the MASS Program; facilitating tutoring and mentoring services, monitoring study hall; following up on faculty progress reports and midterm grades; meeting with student-athletes prior to early registration; assisting with class selection; referring selected individuals to various campus support program as needed in consultation with the Associate Athletic Director for Academic and Student Services.
3. Develop and coordinate the Student-Athlete Development Program to enhance the student-athlete experience through the promotion of personal growth and leadership development, in coordination with campus constituencies and outside resources
4. Builds relationships across campus to promote student-athlete welfare and community integration; serves as the head liaison between Athletics and the University’s Council of Advisors; serves as a liaison between faculty and coaches; meets with prospective student-athletes as needed
5. Assist with the hiring, training, and supervision of front desk workers, tutors, mentors, and interns; assist with the Student-Athlete Development Program; assist with maintaining the Student-Athlete Academic Services and Student-Athlete Development communications and social media accounts; advise with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
6. Prepares weekly academic progress reports for coaches, sport supervisors, and Associate Athletic Director for Academic and Student Services; creates and updates grade tracking sheet for all student-athletes; reports academic issues to Associate Athletic Director for Academic and Student Services, head coaches, and sport supervisors as needed
Other Job Duties:
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Nights and weekends are required
- Attendance at some campus events is expected
- Attend athletic events to support student-athletes
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelors degree
- Two to three years working in the area of academic support
- Knowledge of NCAA Division I academic requirements and regulations
- Experience with academically at-risk students and learning disabilities preferred
- Ability to effectively manage and supervise student staff
- Working knowledge of standard computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite, GradesFirst, OneDrive, Google Docs, and possess the ability to learn and utilize the specific software necessary for academic advising and tutoring
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Master’s degree preferred
- Sincere desire and ability to assist student athletes to succeed
- Ability to interact effectively with student-athletes, advisors, coaches, faculty and administrators required
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is a SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P15.
A job offer for this position is contingent upon a satisfactory response to a background and Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and review.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.