Postdoctoral Research Associate - Electrical Engineering
Job no: 506105
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Submillimeter Wave Tech Lab
$65K-$70K depending on experience
General Summary of Position:
The Submillimeter-Wave Technology Laboratory at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is seeking to fill a full-time benefited postdoctoral research associate position in electrical engineering or closely related field. STL is looking for a talented individual to join a growing engineering team engaged in developing a range of remote sensing technologies in the RF thru THz regions of the spectrum. STL is a vibrant, forward-looking Laboratory that runs a nationally recognized radar-modeling program supporting signature collection efforts for US Army, Air Force, Navy and FFRDC sponsors. This appointment is for one year with the possibility of an additional year depending upon funding.
This position is somewhat non-traditional in that a portion of the individual’s time will directly support an engineering team engaged in a DOD funded radar-modeling contract where activities may include RF subsystem design/layout, trouble-shooting THz radar systems, development of data acquisition hardware and software, as well as component-level layout and assembly of electronics systems and sub-systems. Outside of these efforts, the individual will be given broad latitude to develop and lead their own activities involving development and construction of hardware systems (remote sensing, radar, imaging, etc.) spanning anywhere from RF-to-optical frequencies with an emphasis on RF-to-mm-wave. Start-up funds will be made available.
The chosen applicant will be expected to strengthen their professional career through peer-reviewed publication of scholarly works, presentation of their work at international conferences, and authoring proposals to external funding agencies (e.g. NSF, DOD, NIH). This appointment is ideal for individuals seeking professional growth and actively exploring personal areas of interest that are synergistic with STL’s overall mission.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- A Ph.D. degree in engineering (e.g. electrical engineering, computer engineering, engineering physics) or other closely related field is required. The Ph.D. degree should be within the past three years or soon to be completed.
- The ideal candidate will have the ability to work independently as well as with a technically diverse engineering team.
- The ideal candidate will also be highly motivated and have solid interpersonal and deadline management skills. Overnight travel within the U.S. approx. 1-2 weeks per year may be required.
- The selected candidate will be required to obtain a Department of Defense secret level security clearance within 3 months of hire and maintain the clearance for the length of employment.
- Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
- Applicants with experience in, and an understanding of, the following are preferred: microwave electronics/components/circuits, microcontrollers and FPGAs (Xilinx), radar or related systems/electronics, PCB design and layout, digital signal processing algorithms and hardware, as well as analog/RF circuit design, hands-on experience with analog electronics – systems/circuits, as well as solid computer programming skills in languages such as LabVIEW, Matlab, Python, and C/C++.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
This position is contingent upon funding. The initial appointment will be for ONE year with a possibility of renewal based on productivity and performance and the availability of funding.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend