General Summary of Position:
UMass Lowell Research Institute is seeking to fill a Senior Level Academic position where the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting new business pursuits and on-going curriculum development activities across a variety of defense and commercial related engineering, manufacturing, business, and executive leadership programs. The successful candidate will manage and expand income-generating activity, academic area leadership and management of the design and development of curricula and make a significant contribution to the leadership, management and development of teaching and learning strategies academic standards and leading edge practice. The successful candidate will also serve in a leadership role and as a thought leader on the senior level staff of the UMass Lowell Research Institute. The position is located in Lincoln, MA supporting the University of Massachusetts-Lowell Research Institute (UML RI).
Essential Job Duties:
(1) Establish and develop corporate leads, including DoD customers, and work with faculty to develop new curricula, certificates, degrees, and/or training as required to meet industry needs. Initial focus will be in advanced manufacturing, but can adapt to meet market needs.
(2) Establish and develop corporate leads, including DoD customers, and work with faculty to develop new curricula, certificates, degrees, and/or training as required to meet industry needs. Initial focus will be in advanced manufacturing, but can adapt to meet market needs.
(3) Research industry trends and advise future directions for UMass Lowell educational initiatives, including Advanced Manufacturing. Interface regularly with corporate partners in order to assess changing market needs and trends and position to UMass Lowell to respond to those needs.
(4) Manage productive business relationships with a variety of junior- to executive-grade Government and commercial customers; Provide support to front-end strategic assessments of new academic business pursuits; Act as a key player in solving problems, developing innovative solutions, and assisting the business to achieve financial and performance goals and objectives.
(5) Deliver courses/training at UMass Lowell or other partner agreed-to location(s) as required or identify other faculty, adjunct faculty, or other means to deliver necessary content.
(6) Provide guidance to direct reports and cross business teams; Foster teamwork with both external and internal customers; Handle several assignments concurrently while maintaining schedule deadlines.
Other job duties:
(1) Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Engineering, Science, Technology, Technical, Business, or closely related field
- 10+ years’ experience in the field of Engineering, Science, Technology, Technical, Business, or related fields
- 10+ years’ experience in manufacturing and advanced manufacturing sciences is strongly preferred
- Industry certification (NIMS, Manufacturing Cert/Qualification)
- Instructor Certifications
- Knowledge of, and experience with, various types of advanced manufacturing techniques and disciplines
- Leadership skills to include strategic thinking, customer focus, performance and results orientation, innovation, and influential communication
- Understanding of competitive proposals, cost structure, material estimates, development costs, performance requirements, delivery schedules, and terms and conditions
- Extensive experience with academic curriculum development
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask while delivering timely, high quality products
- Strong, demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Eligible for Security Clearance
Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.’
- Manufacturing Technology and Advanced Manufacturing Curriculum Development expertise
- Executive-level academic and organizational leadership
- An understanding of Department of Defense Policies and Procedures
- Appreciation for the unique roles and responsibilities of organizations such as Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs) and University Affiliated Research Centers (UARCs)
- Industry experience in business development, strategy, and/or proposal management in the pursuit of innovative contract arrangements
- Experience developing and maintaining high performance relationships with internal and external stakeholders and customers
- Experience with program management principles, such as formulating and executing business strategies to reduce risk, enhance customer satisfaction, build positive relationships, improve profitability, and support the generation of additional business opportunities
- Doctoral Degree in Engineering, Science, Technology, Technical, Business, or closely related field
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.