General Summary of Position:
The University of Massachusetts Lowell invites applications for the position of Professor and Chair in the Department of Mathematical Sciences. We seek a dynamic and visionary individual to enrich and strengthen our current educational, research and service programs. The Department of Mathematical Sciences offers BS, BA, MS, and PSM degrees in Mathematics and is exploring the development and launch of a Ph.D. program in Mathematics. Current faculty research includes work in the areas of applied mathematics (computation, mathematical modeling, operations research, randomized algorithms, statistics) and pure mathematics (combinatorics, ergodic theory, functional analysis, geometric analysis, logic, partial differential equations, topology). Ample opportunities exist for collaborative research with colleagues in other science and engineering departments.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell has experienced a tremendous growth in enrollment, with the Kennedy College of Sciences leading freshman growth this past academic year. This includes a growth in the number of students enrolling in the department of mathematical sciences. In addition, as an NSF ADVANCE institution, the department and college fully participate in programs related to gender equity. The university is committed to increasing the size and research activity of the department by adding a talented and diverse pool of new faculty members over the next several years.
The successful applicant should have an outstanding record of publication and funded research which meets the requirements for appointment as a tenured Full Professor at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. She/he is expected to develop and maintain externally funded research programs and, as leader of the department, to contribute to the overall growth and quality of its programs. We expect the successful applicant to demonstrate interpersonal skills that will foster the development of department faculty and students and enhance the visibility of Mathematical Sciences both internally and externally. In addition, we are seeking a chair interested in establishing interdepartmental and intercollegiate collaborations.
Responsibilities of the successful applicant include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, pursuing a program of original research and publication, obtaining extramural research funds, supervising undergraduate and graduate student research, and providing leadership and departmental oversight. In addition, the successful applicant is expected to:
- Have an earned doctorate in mathematics
- Have a record of teaching, scholarship and grants that merits appointment to department chair at the level of full professor
- Pursue scholarly research that complements current faculty research in pure and applied mathematics and/or statistics
- Promote collaborative research, as appropriate, with colleagues in the other science and engineering departments
- Design and lead new curricular and programmatic initiatives at the university level
- Provide leadership for the development of a PhD program in Mathematics
- Work with a diverse group of students, faculty and staff
- Promote the expansion of partnerships with other departments across the university to provide innovative and integrated educational experiences for all UMass Lowell students
- Develop and maintain externally funded research programs and contribute to the overall growth of department programs
- Foster the development of department faculty and students and enhance the visibility of Mathematical Sciences both internally and externally
- Manage course scheduling, budgeting, hiring and evaluation of faculty, and assessment of programs
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close once an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Interested applicants should submit a CV, cover letter, teaching philosophy and research statement. Names and email addresses of three references are required during the application process. The references will be notified and should upload recommendation letters. Only recommendation letters that are uploaded to the system by the referee will be accepted. Emailed or hardcopy letters will not be accepted.