International Services Specialist
Job no: 508662
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
The International Services Specialist will provide professional support to the ISSO by managing inbound communication from international students and scholars at UML, contributing to maintain the ISSO website up to date, periodically evaluating best customer service practices and collaborating in relevant cultural programming. This position will also support data management, immigration processing, SEVIS pre-advising screening and referral of students and scholars to the appropriate ISSO advisor or specialists. The incumbent will need to have or be open to acquire experience to be a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) so to effectively manage and deliver optimal level of services to the F-1 and J-1 populations at UML. This position will also provide administrative support in the area of office budget management and projection.
Oversight of Customer Service Areas and Communication
- Responsible for answering a multiline phone system, responding to student and scholar email and greeting walk-ins.
- Supervise work study students and set professional standards of front desk greetings and reception.
- Troubleshoot student and scholar questions and triage to advisors or Executive Director as necessary.
- Act as tier 1 for troubleshooting technical e-form issues
- Assist with office automation via Sunapsis, Mailchimp, and other technologies/applications.
- Manage office communication and student outreach efforts.
Programming and Student Support
- Plan and execute ISSO Coffee Hours during the Spring and Fall terms
- Plan and execute ad hoc ISSO events and webinars as necessary
- Assist with orientation planning and logistics
- Manage ISSO social media accounts
- Manage Airport Transportation logistics for incoming international students – work closely with external Airport pick-up vendor
Screen and Pre-Advise on F-1 Regulations and Perform DSO SEVIS functions and SUNAPSIS tasks:
Pre-Advise on the following topics:
- F-1 on and off-campus employment authorization including Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- F-1 and J-1 Student Maintenance of Status including on areas requiring SEVIS events: program extensions, final term reduced course load, leave of absence, transfer outs, etc.
- OPT and STEM Reporting requirements – Also trained in SEVIS to perform these tasks.
- Federal and State Government Applications including Social Security Number (SSN) and Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) Applications.
- F-1 international travel requirements/best practices – may provide routine travel signatures when needed.
Perform DSO-Related Functions:
- Troubleshoot and process SEVP Portal Resets.
- Submit I-94 Correction Requests as needed.
- Process additional SEVIS functions as assigned.
- Issue Social Security Letters for eligible F-1 and J-1 students
Provide Administrative Support to Office Operation and Executive Director:
- Manage ISSO Budget: order office supplies, create PO’s, reconcile pro-card logs;
- Manage travel registrations and paperwork; schedule meetings, book rooms, submit work orders, order catering, etc.
- Coordinating review and payment of external counsel invoices.
- Post website updates as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of experience working with international student populations
- Minimum of one year customer service experience (managing high volume phone system, customer interaction, etc.)
- Minimum of one year experience working with international students in the Higher Ed setting
- Demonstrated knowledge or strong interest to learn F-1 and J-1 student regulatory practices and systems
- Familiarity with Data Management systems and using computerized student information systems
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Cultural sensitivity to persons of all backgrounds and nationalities
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail, and ability to prioritize
- U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident status required to perform DSO and/or ARO tasks and SEVIS events
- Knowledge of Sunapsis Case Management System preferred
- Experience with Tridion content management system or other web editing applications
- Must be a team player and easily able to adjust to changes in a suitable manner
- Designated School Official (DSO) experience
- NAFSA Certifications preferred
- Familiarity with UMass Lowell academic policies and procedures, especially student-facing policies desirable
- Experience using a CRM
- PeopleSoft Student Records experience desired
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P15.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend