General Summary of Position:
The Operations and Information Systems Department at the Robert J. Manning School of Business, University of Massachusetts Lowell is seeking applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the field of Analytics and Operations Management with a focus on teaching and research in business analytics, production and service operations, or supply chain management. Candidates will be expected to develop a strong record of scholarly work and publications in top-tier journals with preferred research expertise in areas such as business analytics, production and service operations, or supply chain management.
The Operations and Information Systems Department is currently building faculty capacity to deepen its research output and increase program offerings at both the undergraduate and graduate level. The department has two main areas: Analytics and Operations Management (AOM) and Management Information Systems (MIS). Current AOM programs include: an undergraduate Analytics and Operations Management concentration, a graduate certificate in Supply Chain and Operations Management, a graduate certificate in Business Analytics, an M.B.A. Business Analytics track, an M.S. Business Analytics degree, and a Ph.D. degree in Business Administration with a Management Science track.
In addition to traditional face-to-face course offerings, UMass Lowell has a large and growing set of online courses and programs. Online teaching experience is highly desirable. The standard teaching load for research productive faculty is four courses per academic year. Evidence of grant-related research funding is also a significant plus. Faculty are encouraged to develop productive partnerships with other units of the University, industry and with colleagues from other institutions and countries.
Located 30 miles northwest of Boston, UMass Lowell has over 18,000 students and is the second largest public university in Massachusetts. The Manning School has over 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students and is accredited by the AACSB-International.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Doctorate in Operations/Decision Sciences from an AACSB-International accredited business school, Doctorate in Industrial Engineering from an ABET accredited school, or Doctorate in a closely-related field
- Evidence of ongoing high quality research and publication in the applicant’s areas of scholarly specialization
- A record of teaching effectiveness at the graduate and/or undergraduate levels
- Commitment to develop and sustain an externally funded research program
- Industrial, corporate, or new venture experience
- Experience supervising and advising graduate students
- Experience in teaching online or web-enhanced courses preferably using Blackboard or similar platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to speak and write English clearly
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Members of UMass Lowell, Manning School of Business will attend the INFORMS conference in Seattle and New Orleans.
*If you are interested in meeting with our representatives at INFORMS, please contact Dr. Belleh Fontem, Belleh_Fontem@uml.edu, or Dr. Nichalin Summerfield, Nichalin_Summerfield@uml.edu.
*If you are interested in meeting with our representative at DSI, please contact Dr. Tom Sloan, Thomas_Sloan@uml.edu.
Please contact the University of Massachusetts Lowell Human Resources Department at 978-934-3560 for information regarding benefits and related employment matters or if you have any questions about the position.
*The online application process must be completed before meeting with OIS representatives.
Please include the following required documents with your application:
- Current curriculum vitae
- Cover letter detailing research interests and accomplishments; teaching interests, experience and philosophy; and professional background
- Samples of recent publications
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., student course evaluations, department Chair reviews, teaching awards)
- Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application. (please do not send recommendation letters). **All materials should be submitted using our electronic application system.
Posting updated 11/12/19.