Job no: 496740
Position type: Staff Part Time
Non-Benefited – Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Tsongas Industrial History Ctr
$13.50-$15 per hour, commensurate with experience
General Summary of Position:
The staff person in this position handles complex logistics required to ensure that school groups visiting the Tsongas Industrial History Center for a field trip have a smooth, safe experience. Up to 16 groups a day may visit in the busiest seasons (fall and spring). This position also assists with professional development activities for staff and for teachers. The position is a seasonal, part-time, non-benefited, non-unit position (M-F, 25 hours/week, 5 hours/day, 8 am-1 pm, late August through late June), contingent upon funding.
Facilitation of School Group Visits: Direct Contact
- Meets and directs multiple groups of students, teachers, and bus drivers (stepping onto bus for communications). During busy season, as many as 16 groups a day may visit.
- Coordinates and communicates transportation logistics at curb
- Uses radio system to report questions, emergencies, schedule alterations
- Assists with moving carts filled with student lunches
- Oversees group movement and monitors groups in lunchroom, in conjunction with Park Maintenance staff
- Distributes program evaluations to teachers
- Records daily visitation statistics and provides weekly report
Facilitation of School Group Visits: Preparation
- Opens the Tsongas Industrial History Center daily
- Assists with implementation of bad-weather plans through timely communications with TIHC Assistant Director for Operations (at times prior to work hours, by phone from home).
Facilitation of Special Groups:
- Assists with staff and teacher professional development programming
- Assists with occasional visitors and groups wishing to observe programs
- Conducts morning update meetings with all staff present
- Maintains master program/staffing whiteboard
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and role
Impact of Actions:
- Student (and adult) comfort and safety depend in large part on decisions and recommendations made by the facilitator
- Annual visitation statistics must be accurate for reports and funding decisions
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- High school diploma or GED/equivalent
- Minimum 2 years’ prior experience in managing groups of youth, interacting with visitors to a site, organizing information and anticipating possible problems to ensure smooth logistics for visitors, collaborating across various workgroups
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to communicate and collaborate with diverse groups (NPS Maintenance staff, museum teachers, visiting educators and students, and TIHC leadership team) to manage movement of school groups in a positive, effective way
- Strong dedication to customer service
- Organized and attentive to detail
- Ability to predict and troubleshoot logistical complications
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Nature of position requires time outdoors in all kinds of weather and occasionally requires some work from home (phone calls) during extremely bad weather or emergency situations.
- It is often necessary to help move bulky lunch carts.
- Work involves a mix of routine, well-established methods and unusual or changing situations that require quick and sound judgment. The facilitator brings problems not of a routine nature to the attention of the manager.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a temporary, part-time, non-benefited, non-unit position. M-F, 25 hours/week, 5 hours/day, 8 am-1 pm, late August through late June, contingent upon funding.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applicants are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend