General Summary of Position:
The Department of Biomedical and Nutritional Sciences (BNS) at the University of Massachusetts Lowell seeks a visionary leader for the position of departmental chair. The appointment is expected to be at the level of Associate or Full Professor with tenure.
The Department of Biomedical and Nutritional Sciences is located in UMass Lowell's Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences, a dynamic, growing college that prepares professionals and scientists in a wide range of health areas. The department is made up of 23 faculty and five staff members. Eight new energetic and engaged faculty have been hired in the last three years. The new chair will contribute to planned new hiring. A large research program, with vibrant community partnerships and engagement opportunities in the areas of biomedical, clinical, nutritional, and pharmaceutical sciences enriches and supports educational programs.
The chair's mission is to promote the academic and intellectual growth of the department and ensure effective use of resources to meet the objectives of the college and achieve student learning. The department and college have leadership teams that support the chair in carrying out the academic mission of the department.
The department offers undergraduate degrees in clinical sciences, medical laboratory sciences, nutritional sciences, and pharmaceutical science marketing & management and master's degrees in clinical sciences, nutrition, and pharmaceutical sciences. Faculty also participate in doctoral programs in pharmaceutical sciences and biomedical engineering & biotechnology (BMEBT) and epidemiology. The department provides core science instructional services for all undergraduate programs in the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences including exercise physiology, nursing, and public health, as well as graduate programs in physical therapy and public health. Educational strategies include classes taught by highly-qualified faculty, experiential learning, and hands-on laboratory experiences.
The department has active and well-funded research in clinical sciences, microbiology, and nutrition. The chair will coordinate and facilitate program growth.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal. We encourage individuals from underrepresented populations to apply and would be pleased to have applicants identify strengths in this area.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- PhD, ScD or other earned doctorate in the biomedical, nutritional, or pharmaceutical sciences or other related biomedical sciences field
- Evidence of excellence in leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong track record in externally funded research
- Substantial publication record
- Demonstrated excellence in mentoring, teaching, and service
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups and interdisciplinary teams
- Previous rank of associate or full professor with tenure
- Experience in fostering partnerships within the university and with outside partners, especially in industry
- Experience in a prior leadership role in a 4 year research institution and ability to successfully collaborate with the faculty, the dean, and upper administration
- Experience recruiting faculty with strong research agendas and mentoring them through the tenure process
- Experience in both undergraduate, graduate, and accredited programs, with the ability to develop, implement and evaluate curricula
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin on January 7, 2019 with the goal of a September 1, 2019 start date. Application deadline, April 1, 2019.
Please submit the following with your application:
- Cover letter which includes the following:
- Description of your past leadership experiences
- Vision for advancing the department
- Teaching philosophy
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals (two or three significant, relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals)
- Research statement listing accomplishments and future plans
- Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Posting updated 2/14/19