Plumber and Steamfitter I (multiple positions)
Job no: 522055
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union position, Grade 18 Step 1 $2,322.44 bi-weekly to Step 14 $3,287.68 bi-weekly
General Summary of Position:
Incumbents of this position, repair, maintain and/or alter plumbing sanitary piping and fixtures, roof drainage systems, storm drain piping and fixtures, hot and cold water distribution systems, gas distribution systems, steam and hot water heating units, fire sprinkler system emergency response, backflow prevention systems, safety equipment, irrigation systems, safety eyewash and deluge shower piping systems, special lab acid waste and water systems, industrial cafeteria equipment and perform related work as required. Plumber and Steamfitter I is the entry-level skilled trade job in this series.
1st and 2nd shift opportunities available.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Massachusetts Journeyman or Master Plumbing License
- Knowledge of state and local plumbing codes
- Ability to understand, explain and apply the laws, rules, and regulations governing assigned unit activities
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, rules, and regulations concerning plumbing practices
- Knowledge of the principles and theory of plumbing and steam fitting
- Knowledge of the types and use of small hand tools used in plumbing practices such as wrenches, hammers, pliers, taps, dies, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand held power tools and equipment such as power saws, power drills, power hammers, torches, gauges, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment including testing equipment used in plumbing work
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in plumbing
- Knowledge of inspection techniques used in the plumbing trade
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as plumbing plans, schematics, drawings, etc.
- Ability to make decision and act quickly in emergency situations
- Manual dexterity and aptitude
- Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds, work in confined spaces
- Ability to detect and locate causes of plumbing failure or breakdown
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience, installing, servicing, or inspecting plumbing systems, gas distribution systems, and boiler components
- Possess a current and valid driver’s license
- 5 years’ experience as a Massachusetts licensed plumber
- Demonstrated willingness to be on essential personnel list for facility related emergencies and University Closings due to weather
- Ability to operate air and hydraulic lifts
- Similar institution experience
- A general knowledge of steam and HVAC systems. Ability to diagnose boiler controls such as gas valves, relays, aquastats, pressuretrols, power burners, etc.
- Ability to use electrical testing meters
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal (MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union) candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union position, Grade 18 Step 1 $2,322.44 bi-weekly to Step 14 $3,287.68 bi-weekly.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume with your application. Names and contact information for three professional references will be requested at the time of application. Submission of a cover letter is optional.
Posting updated 2/6/2024.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend