Sr. Equipment Manager - Nanofabrication Core Lab
Job no: 520363
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Core Research Facilities
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
This position reports to the Director of the Nanofabrication Core Lab (NFL) and is the primary equipment installation and sustaining manager for the NFL. Primary responsibilities include ongoing implementation and improvement of the preventive maintenance program for all equipment within the NFL, installation and repair of new and existing equipment, and assisting UML Facilities in the coordination of maintenance to the ancillary support equipment i.e., monitor the D.I. water, and clean room integrity. The NFL Sr. Equipment Manager also trains users, coordinates daily operations, and participates in ancillary projects as required by the Nanofabrication Lab Director.
Equipment: The Sr. Equipment Manager is responsible for the following:
- Maintain all NFL equipment, troubleshoot equipment failures.
- Equipment installation, certification, and characterization
- First point of contact for Vendors (equipment, facility, etc.)
- Maintain and monitor equipment performance standards Maintain a preventative maintenance plan for equipment with minimum impact to Lab operations
- Assist in the development of an Equipment Security and Logging System (RFID)
- Trouble shoot discreet electrical components and read/analyze schematics for complex electrical circuitry diagnosis and repair including programmable logic controllers (PLC).
- Responsible for initiating, delegating and approving preventive and predictive maintenance activities for the lab.
Facilities: The Sr. Equipment Manager coordinates with facilities for continued maintenance of the following critical services:
- Daily Lab safety and wellness inspections.
- Tracking and resolution of issues
- Oversee building systems including but not limited to Deionized Water Supply, Toxic Gas Monitoring, etc.
- Monitor and maintain clean room integrity and particle count.
- Monitor Lock out Tag out.
- Hazardous waste management
Operations: The Sr Equipment Manager participates in the daily operations of the Nano Fabrication Lab as follows:
- Participate in daily coordination of user reservations, monitor reservation schedule, identify scheduling issues, document key issues.
- Train users as needed on equipment as well as Level 2 Safety and LN2 fills.
- Assist Director during tours and potential customer visits.
- Provide foundry service as required.
- Participate in the Operations Team Meetings and fill in for the Director as required as the coordinator for the Operations Team.
- Work with the Director on process and systems improvement, including: scheduling, safety & cost savings
- Toxic Gas Monitoring
- Contribute to writing standard Operating procedure (SOP) documents related to Equipment operations, experimental methods.
- Enforce Lab safety procedures and protocols.
- Train/instruct both Internal and External users in the proper and safe use of equipment.
- Assist with managing consumable supply inventory levels, coordinate purchases and schedule.
EH&S: The Sr. Equipment Manager must also coordinate with EH&S in the following areas:
- Toxic Gas Monitoring
- Gas cylinder Service and Replacement
- Be available for coordination of information during emergencies
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Lab equipment and operations are projected in a positive and professional manner.
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners
- Responsive to all requests for service and information.
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
- Other duties as assigned and as needed to support the CRF and Office of Research
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree in materials / physical sciences, chemistry, electrical or computer hardware engineering or a related field and 10+ years of experience -or - Associate degree in the same or related fields noted above with 15+ years’ experience.
- Knowledge of clean-room operations facilities and understanding of high-hazard clean-room environments in research, educational or industrial production environment.
**Will consider candidates who hold an advanced degree with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in the installation and management of vacuum equipment, wet stations & photolithography equipment.
- The successful candidate must have demonstrated in past position(s) of similar responsibility and an ability to move projects forward decisively.
- Understanding of ISO Clean Room standards, and NFPA and ANSI standards as applied to labs.
- Available to assist in cases of emergency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to lift 60 pounds, good visual and hearing ability is required, as well as wearing clean room garments, PPE, and set example of observing clean room practices.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and a willingness to drive between campuses and for off campus assignments.
- This person should be knowledgeable of laboratory and microelectronic facilities, equipment, safety, industrial hygiene, hazards, and good lab practice. Also should be comfortable with clean room practice and the maintenance and operations of same; e.g. HEPA filter scanning and testing.
- Knowledge of Toxic Gas Monitoring systems and the integration to fire prevention systems
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is a SEIU Professional Union position, Grade P22.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application. Submission of a cover letter is optional.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend