General Summary of Position:
The Department of Physical Therapy and Kinesiology (PTK) at the University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML) seeks a visionary leader in education, research, and innovative partnerships for the position of department chair. The PTK department offers an undergraduate degree in Exercise Science with two options: Clinical option and Exercise and Fitness Management option. PTK offers a CAPTE accredited clinical graduate degree in physical therapy (DPT). The department invites candidates with a strong track record in external funding to complement its research programs including, but not limited to, rehabilitation sciences, digital health, movement sciences, human performance, robotics or kinesiology-related fields.
PTK is housed within the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences (ZCHS), a dynamic college that prepares scientists and professionals in a wide range of health-focused disciplines. A vibrant team of 13 faculty members are actively engaged with students through innovative and cutting-edge health sciences education, including experiential and interprofessional education, and hands-on laboratory training.
The Chair will work closely with our recently appointed Dean and lead the department’s future growth in interdisciplinary education and research, faculty and staff hiring, expansion of undergraduate and graduate educational and clinical programs, and advancing the reputation of the department through innovative research. The chair will work with all department chairs in the College and demonstrate a collaborative team approach to leadership and interdisciplinary program support and building within the university and beyond. Leadership teams in the college and department will support the chair in carrying out the department’s academic mission.
In addition to improvements in academic programs over the past 4 years, PTK has benefited from two major facilities improvements. In the Fall of 2021, the PTK faculty moved into a modern building that consolidated the faculty and central department administration offices in a contiguous space. At the same time, the teaching and research labs moved into a renovated space specifically designed to enhance teaching and research. These changes have contributed to improved educational, research and clinical activities to support department growth.
Successful candidates will:
- Provide oversight and responsible administration of departmental resources
- Demonstrate a collaborative team approach to leadership and interdisciplinary program development within the Department and College
- Collaborate with Department faculty to provide oversight of the development and delivery of high-quality academic programs
- Foster research development among departmental, university, and external faculty partners and expand extramural funding as the University moves towards an R1 status as a research institution
- Broaden the vibrant clinical and community partnerships that enhance students’ hands-on professional training and educational experiences
- Strengthen mentoring and support systems to promote faculty and staff success
- Engage faculty in strategic planning regarding education, research, and strategic partnerships to advance the missions of the Department and ZCHS
- Supervise faculty and staff hiring/appointments, reappointment, promotion/tenure, and compensation, according to college-approved procedures
- Cultivate a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
The University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML) is situated in the heart of New England, on the banks of the Merrimack River, a beautiful hub of invention and innovation and the birthplace of America’s industrial revolution. Our proximity to Boston, UMass Chan Medical School, the Bedford VA and the growing biopharmaceutical industry is a benefit in promoting academic and industry partnerships, as well as connecting to the outstanding and abundant medical and health resources in this region. UML is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We encourage individuals from underrepresented populations to apply.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Academic doctoral degree in a exercise, kinesiology, physical therapy or health-related field closely aligned with departmental programs
- Substantial publication record
- Strong track record in externally funded research
- Demonstrated excellence in mentoring, teaching undergraduate and graduate students, and service
- Experience with undergraduate, graduate, and accredited programs, with the ability to develop, implement, and evaluate curricula
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups and interdisciplinary teams
- Experience in fostering partnerships within the university and with outside partners, such as industry-based research
- Evidence of excellence in leadership roles and interpersonal skills, including several years of formal, progressive experience in a high-level leadership role (i.e., program director, center director, chair, assistant dean) in a 4-year research institution
- Ability to successfully collaborate with the faculty, the Dean, and upper administration
- Experience recruiting faculty with strong research agendas and mentoring them through the tenure process
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. Campus interviews will start Nov/Dec 2023. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please submit the following required documents with your application:
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Cover letter which includes the following:
- Description of your past leadership experiences and mentoring activities with examples of accomplishments
- During the campus visit, candidates will share their vision for advancing the department
- Teaching philosophy and list of courses taught
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals: Please submit two or three significant, relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Research statement listing accomplishments and future plans
- Names and contact information of three professional references will be required at the time of application process. (One should be a current/former supervisor) References will not be contacted until after the candidate visits campus and with candidate consent.