Associate Director, Facilities Operations and Services
Job no: 518335
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
The Associate Director, Facilities Operations & Services (OS) ensures support of the University commitment for providing quality facilities, trades work and customer services to the entire campus community; with responsibility for trades and building services department activities related to University facilities, infrastructure and site projects. The university includes approximately 5 million square feet in 70 buildings and leased properties supported by a team of 160 Operations and Services employees.
This position provides support and assistance to the Executive Director of Operations and Services as needed to ensure the smooth operation of department and efficient management of its Operations and Services Program. This position will have direct supervision/management over various sub-units within the Facilities Management organization as assigned by the Executive Director, such as building trades, custodial and grounds and may serve as the Executive Director’s designee in their absence.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelors degree in management, engineering, construction or related technical field and a minimum of 7 years experience, or high school diploma or GED/equivalent and 15 years’ experience, in facility management with supervisory responsibilities and daily operations management for building services, grounds or trades.
- Proven experience and proficiency administering a wide variety of facilities maintenance functions, service, repair/ renovation contracts monitoring workers, contractors and vendors in an institutional environment/setting.
- Successfully demonstrated ability to react and adjust quickly to changing conditions and come up with timely, practical and cost effective solutions.
- Successfully demonstrated ability to plan, implement and control operational budgets of $3M or larger.
- Proven leadership abilities in effective personnel management.
- Successfully demonstrate project management skills in planning, organizing, and controlling facilities related maintenance and repair work,
- Successfully demonstrated ability to plan and implement building systems maintenance and preventative maintenance schedules.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral) skills, and computer competency.
- Familiarity with sustainable practices implementation.
- Requires the successful demonstration of promoting importance of teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with college faculty, staff, administrators and stakeholders.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Master's degree in facilities, engineering, technology, architecture, business administration or similarly related field.
- Evidence of on-going professional development or other degrees and certifications.
- Experience in higher education and/or a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of codes and regulations such as Massachusetts Building Codes, OSHA Regulations, and ADA Regulations.
- Experience working with a work order system.
- Knowledge of MA procurement regulations
- Experience developing short (3 - 5 years) and long-term (strategic) plans
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P23.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend