General Summary of Position:
The Digital Content & Training Specialist is responsible for articulating and sharing the current and future state of IT projects and programs with the broader UMass Lowell campus community. Under the direction of the Associate CIO, Systems Architecture and working closely with all functional IT groups, the Digital Content & Training Specialist will ensure that UMass Lowell campus community members are able to fully leverage UMass Lowell’s investments in technologies. This is primarily achieved by creating and publishing multiple training and documentation assets for the university community, curating and developing the IT website, and hosting trainings both online and in person.
The Digital Content & Training Specialist will create multiple job aids leveraging various media including print, web, video, and interactive graphics. Using a blended skillset of storytelling, graphic design and technical proficiency, the Digital Content & Training Specialist will articulate best practices, how-to tips, tricks, FAQs, and other materials necessary for users to get tasks and projects accomplished quickly. In addition, the Digital Content & Training Specialist will routinely author, distribute updates and send messages to the campus to ensure consistency in messaging across the IT organization.
The Digital Content & Training Specialist also maintains, curates and organizes the UMass Lowell Information Technology website to ensure that information that is needed by the campus is readily available and easily locatable for the campus community. The website will be the focal point for all campus community members to find information about services and products offered by IT, so the Digital Content & Training Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that it acts as an easy-to-use hub of information.
As the end-user subject matter expert in multiple IT technologies, the Digital Content & Training Specialist will additionally hold regular training sessions for UMass Lowell faculty, staff, and occasionally students on varied topics so that attendees can come away with the knowledge and skills to effectively utilize the various technologies and tools provided by Information Technology in their roles.
As the Digital Content & Training Specialist will need to be apprised of current needs, gaps, and challenges across campus they will be closely aligned with IT’s TechServices group and will participate in regular touchpoints with various areas of IT to ensure they are up to date with the latest changes.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Commitment to providing outstanding customer service and ability to be proactive in anticipating campus and team needs.
- A 4-year bachelor’s degree
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience seamlessly and on the fly
- Documented ability to create concise training materials in print, web, and video formats for a variety of topics
- Comfort and ability to speak in front of crowds as large at 100 and communicate technical concepts
- Demonstrable ability to present a polished image for UMass Lowell to perspective students
- Proficiency with Microsoft productivity tools including Office 365
- Ability to prioritize workload effectively and work with a high level of independence and efficiency
- Seven or more years of experience as a technical trainer
- Three years of experience in a large IT environment
- Proficiency with Adobe tools for graphic design and document creation
- Proficiency with video creation tools such as Adobe, Camtasia, SnagIT, etc
- Demonstrated ability to conduct trainings one-on-one or in a group setting for users
- Proficiency on both Windows and MacOS platforms
- Familiarity and comfort with iOS based and Android based mobile devices
- ITIL Foundations certification, or the ability to become certified within 6 months of starting
- Strong technical skills and comfort with learning new technologies with minimal guidance
- Preference given to candidates with previous Higher Education experience
- Previous experience in an IT support role preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in liberal arts disciplines such as arts, English, journalism, or marketing
- Experience working with heterogenous environments consisting of Windows, Mac, and Linux strongly preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is a SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P20.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume, cover letter and portfolio work to include; (1) some sort of documentation or instructions you have written, (2) a document or graphic you have designed and (3) a video you have created with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.