Associate Director of Residential Education for Inclusion & Residential Leadership
Job no: 507934
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
The Associate Director of Residential Education for Inclusion & Residential Leadership (ADIRL) is a senior member of both the Residence Life central office staff and of the Residential Education leadership team. Utilizing the tenants of equity and inclusion to guide their daily work, the ADIRL assists the Director of Residential Education (DRE) in supporting the implementation of an inclusive, dynamic, and comprehensive residential community that houses just under 5,000 students.
Primary areas of responsibility for the ADIRL include the direct supervision of professional Area Coordinators and Resident Directors The ADIRL is also responsible for the indirect supervision of graduate fellow and student staff in their assigned residential supervision area. In consultation with the DRE, DRE, Director of Housing Operations, and the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, the ADIRL is charged with leading Residence Life’s overall inclusion and diversity education initiatives and efforts. The ADIRL is the Residential Education leadership team member responsible for directing the work of the department’s inclusion committee.
The ADIRL is charged with the overall residential education team’s leadership development efforts through their advising and support of UMass Lowell’s chapters of the Residence Hall Association (RHA) and the chapter of the Mill City National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH). The Associate Director must use their creativity to develop and implement inclusion and diversity educational opportunities for paraprofessional and professional staff within the department of Residence Life.
Additionally, the Associate Director has a primary functional responsibility for departmental leadership by building partnerships across campus and continuing education around the topics of equity and justice to work to create a welcoming space for students and staff within our residential community.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Direct supervision of professional Area Coordinators and/or Resident Directors and indirect oversight of assigned residence hall communities. Indirect supervision of graduate fellow and student staff.
- Lead department efforts around inclusion and diversity education.
- Lead department’s student leadership development efforts through their advising and support of UMass Lowell’s chapters of the Residence Hall Association (RHA) and the chapter of the Mill City National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH).
- Establish and maintain partnerships with academic schools and colleges, deans, faculty, staff, and university partners.
- Provide direction and leadership for the residential education team in the absence of the Director of Residential Education.
- Serve in an emergency on call duty rotation for residential students.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- A masters degree in higher education, college student personnel or a related field is required
- A minimum of 5 years of increasing experience and responsibilities in Residence Life, including housing, judicial, administration, staff selection and staff training
- Three to four years in a middle management residence life position supervising full time professional staff
- Proven experience with the creation and implementation of social justice, diversity, and/or inclusion education
- Experience with successfully advising student groups
- Proven ability to address student needs and establish a positive rapport with students, student groups, faculty/staff, and parents while demonstrating openness and integrity
- Competency with various software included in MS Office or MS Office 365
- Experience with the development and implantation of a residential curriculum approach to engagement and education
- Experience with successfully advising with residence hall associations and/or National Residence Hall Honorary
- Competency with using MS Teams, SharePoint creation and management, StarRez, and Maxient
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P17.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend