Postdoctoral Research Associate
Job no: 507804
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Physics and Applied Physics
Salary $45,000 to 48,000, based on experience and grant funding
General Summary of Position:
The Department of Physics and Applied Physics of the University of Massachusetts Lowell has an open postdoctoral fellow position available in the laboratory of Professor Noureddine Melikechi. The Postdoctoral Fellow will work on a project aimed at developing and using novel spectroscopic and artificial methods to detect spectral signatures in biomedical fluids and/or tissues that could be used or the early diagnosis of cancers, Alzheimer’s, and other diseases. The postdoctoral fellow will also investigate other types of complex samples. We are looking for a candidate with experience in experimental laser spectroscopy and most notably laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy, and other optical techniques.
• Initiate the design of experiments to be conducted
• Design, construct and assemble spectroscopic instruments
• Conduct measurements, record and analyze the data obtained
• Prepare manuscripts
• Interact with collaborators
• Mentor undergraduate and/or graduate students working in the laboratory
• Coordinate research projects with collaborators
• PhD in Physics or a closely related field (Required)
• Experience in LIBS, FTIR, Raman spectroscopies is a plus
• Experience with state-of-the- art laser technology, complex spectroscopic data acquisition and analysis is desirable
• Experience in building and designing and constructing laser-based spectroscopic instrumentation and using it successfully
• Energetic with positive attitude, able to develop an independent research program
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment
• Expert knowledge in laser-mater interaction
• Demonstrated potential of independent scientific thought
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
This position is contingent upon funding.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend