Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator
Job no: 507020
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Env & Emergency Management
Salary commensurate with experience and grade
General Summary of Position:
Responsible for assisting the University in maintaining compliance with various Federal, State and Local regulations pertaining to environmental, occupational, educational and public health/safety programs. Works under the direction of the Hazardous & Recycling Materials Receiving Stockroom Manager who reports to the Director of EHS.
The EHS Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the operations and programs related to the EHS Hazardous Materials Receiving Stockroom. This program includes the acceptance, inventories, and delivery of hazardous and non-hazardous (chemical, biological, radiological) materials and supplies to labs. Must be familiar with DOT/IATA shipping regulations. The inspection of satellite waste accumulation areas, and collection of hazardous and non-hazardous waste products from labs. This includes biological, infectious, hazardous and recycling materials. Provide EHS Department program support to laboratories, monitor daily water quality requirements for the Costello pool and oil belt skimmer compliance checks. The position takes lead in the asbestos building materials program. This includes sampling, oversight of asbestos records, and coordinating abatement activities and asbestos monitoring with 3rd party industrial hygiene consultants. The position also supports sustainability initiatives and recycling programs. Must actively participate as an active emergency responder for hazardous materials, bodily fluid and environmental releases. Serves as lead in absence of Hazardous and Recycling Materials Stockroom Manager.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree required with 5+ years of related experience
**Will consider candidate with successful completion of National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), certification and significant experience (7-10 years directly related experience.)
- Knowledge of RCRA hazardous waste management and Code of Massachusetts Regulation CMR 310.30
- Knowledge in lead and asbestos abatement projects
- Possess a MA Dept. of Labor and Industries license to abate asbestos
- Possess a MA Dept. of Labor and Industries license to abate lead containing materials
- Must obtain Certificate of completion for “40 hour Hazardous Waste site worker safety course”, required at regulated superfund and Brownfield sites within 6 months of hire
- Must have or obtain RCRA/DOT and IATA training within 6 months of hire
- *Self starter and goal orientated
- Able to work harmoniously with Administration, Faculty, Staff and Students
- Prefer Bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Science or Engineering
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application. Submission of a cover letter is optional.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend