Postdoctoral Research Associate (Ph.D. level) or Researcher (Masters level) – Engineering – Energy (multiple positions)
Job no: 505751
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary commensurate with education/experience and grant
General Summary of Position:
The successful applicant will help execute projects and conduct research (analytical and/or experimental) related to energy resiliency. This advertisement spans numerous positions anticipated that pertain to: Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, Nuclear Engineering, and Physics. The projects may involve:
- Electrical Power Intermittency
- Grid Security and Cybersecurity
- Inspection and Structural Health Monitoring of Energy Infrastructure
- Integrating Renewable Energy Sources into the Grid
- Energy Storage, Renewable Energy Technology, and Thermal Heat Transfer
- Improved Microgrids
- Local Generation of Zero-carbon Fuels and nuclear technology
- Training and Educational Outreach
The successful applicant will work with an immediate supervisor in writing scholarly articles and research proposals, help to manage and educate graduate or undergraduate students, and assist in the successful operation of the laboratories and facilities. The initial appointment will be for one to two years with a possibility of renewal based on productivity and performance and the availability of funding.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Conduct research under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI). This specifically involves:
- Formulating physical, mathematical, and computational or empirical models of energy systems, and conducting experiments.
- Designing, developing, and validating computational and analytical tools.
- Designing and performing computational simulations, evaluating and analyzing results, and deriving understanding of underlying phenomena.
- Prepare status reports and deliverables in collaboration with and under the direction of the PI, on time and to the highest standard.
2. Assist supervisor in writing scholarly articles and research proposals
- The successful candidate will be expected to initiate and assist in the formulation and writing of externally funded research proposals. This effort will include finding appropriate opportunities, finding collaborative partners, generating preliminary data, and proposal writing.
- The successful candidate will be expected to publish at least 2 articles per year in peer-reviewed scientific journals based on the research conducted as first author, along with participation in other papers in a secondary roll. Papers and presentations in scientific conferences will also be required.
3. Attend Meetings related to the research projects
- Conduct weekly group meeting between PI, Post-Docs and students.
4. Supervision of Graduate Students
- Meet weekly with students to review their research projects, progress, papers and to develop path forward.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- For Postdoctoral Research Associate: A Ph.D. in Engineering, Physics, Applied Math, Computer Science, or related area is preferred
**Candidates with a M.S. Degree will be considered (as Researcher-Masters level) if they have significant industry or relevant research experience
- Prior research and/or relevant industry experience.
- Experimental, physical, mathematical, and computational model formulation
- Computer programming
- High performance computing software development and computational simulation
- Effective scientific and interpersonal communication (individual and group meetings, presentations, written reports, journal publications, etc.)
- Should have a track record of performing research and technical writing
- Ability to work independently, with limited direction, as well as within a team environment
- Ability to mentor and inspire students with limited research experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
This position is contingent upon funding. The initial appointment will be for one to two years with a possibility of renewal based on productivity and performance and the availability of funding.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend