General Summary of Position:
The Assistant Director of Athletic Communications is responsible to assist with strategies to create media awareness and publicity on behalf of the University’s Division I intercollegiate athletics program.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Serve as the primary contact of select sports assigned by the Associate AD for Communications. Responsibilities include promotion for selected sports through printed materials, the internet and other appropriate vehicles. Facilitate game day coverage for assigned sports, including on-site media engagement, compilation of statistics and reporting of results to appropriate media outlets.
2. Researches, writes, and releases a high volume of sports publications and other materials as directed to the appropriate media, conference and national offices, websites, etc.
(Ex. Media Guides, Game Notes, Game Programs, Social Media, etc.)
3. Maintains and fosters relationships with campus, local, national, hometown and online media and aggressively promotes maximum coverage for the University.
4. Distributes information on contest results in a timely and efficient manner and completes conference, regional and national award applications on behalf of coaches and student-athletes.
5. Compiles, disseminates, and maintains sports statistics on all intercollegiate athletic teams and oversees the development and maintenance of athletic web pages for all intercollegiate teams.
6. Assists with the operation and maintenance of press rows and boxes at home games, including hiring, supervising and instructing for all game staffing (statistical spotters, recorders, official statistical workers, etc.), logistics and technical requirements.
7. Travels with teams as necessary to provide athletic media relations functions for local, regional, and national media as well as producing statistical and game reports on a timely basis.
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
• Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
• Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
• Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
Other Job Duties:
1. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Nights and weekends are required
Attendance at some campus events is expected
Requires travel, including overnight stays
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Two to three years working in a comprehensive media relations operation in a Division I collegiate athletics environment required
- Must have excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work within a team environment
- Graphic design skills using Adobe Photoshop
- Working knowledge and application of NCAA rules and regulations and procedures
- Video editing
- Experience working effectively in diverse environments
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
A job offer for this position is contingent upon a satisfactory response to a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and background checks and review.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.