OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Employer Relations Specialist
DIVISION: Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Career Center
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ESU, Cat. 13
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 32
JOB CODE: 2000
REPORTS TO: Director of the Career Center
SUPERVISES: Student employees
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY: ESU SALARY RANGES
UMass Dartmouth offers exciting benefits* such as:
- 75% Employer-Paid Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- State Pension Retirement Plan
- Optional Retirement Savings Plans
- Tuition Credit (Employee, Spouse, & Dependents)
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Paid personal, vacation, and sick time
- And More Benefits: Benefits at UMass Dartmouth
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Employer Relations Specialist delivers high quality services in the employer/alumni relations and related marketing/messaging areas of the Career Center. Responsible for the development and management of a comprehensive career connections effort to increase part-time, internship and full-time employment opportunities for students. Working closely with the Director of Experiential Learning and Internship Development, the incumbent develops and executes various experiential learning programs by involving daily relationship building with alumni and professionals from corporations, non-profits/non-government organizations and government agencies. The incumbent is also responsible for managing public relations, marketing and social media strategies for the Career Center to ensure high visibility, engagement and integration across the university community and beyond. Also carries a moderate case load of student appointments and drop-ins to maintain engagement with the UMass Dartmouth student population.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the Director of the Career Center in developing a comprehensive employer relations strategic plan, to include documented metrics for increased student and employer engagement in employment related programs and activities, in concert with the Director of Experiential Learning and Internship Development.
- Strategically identify and build relationships with state, regional, national, and international employers for recruitment and experiential learning of UMass Dartmouth students and alumni.
- Evaluate appropriateness of employer expectations; assist with diversity recruitment; promote adherence to office procedures and deadlines, interviewing protocols, offer/accept lead times, and ethical/professional conduct.
- In concert with the Director of Experiential Learning and Internship Development, coordinate, schedule and provide on-campus, on-site and online recruiting/career programs and events that include, not limited to, job fairs, info sessions, networking events, site visits, externships, and job shadow programs.
- Manage the Job Location & Development (JLD) & Community Based Work Study program (CBWS) grant. Recruit both employers and student work-study employees and report data to relevant government agencies.
- Plan, implement and evaluate special programs, utilizing alumni and professional contacts to better prepare students for the workplace.
- Facilitate employer engagement by fostering employment relationships between employers and student organizations with similar interests.
- Develop & deliver presentations, particularly on interviewing, industry knowledge, and networking to students, alumni and other groups both on and off-campus.
- Collaborate with designated college liaisons and faculty/staff to increase employment opportunities for students, including but not limited to underserved populations and graduate students.
- Participate actively in various local, state, regional, and national organizations including, but not limited to, chambers of commerce, workforce development groups and state agencies to increase internship and employment opportunities for students and alumni.
- Assist the Director of the Career Center in maintaining accurate and updated data regarding student internships and placements, as well as assist in the collection of Post-Graduation Outcomes Data via the NACE survey.
- Design and implement marketing plans and materials via various marketing and promotion routes including emails, social media and web sites to increase awareness of students, faculty, staff, employers and alumni for career connections programs, resources and events.
- Carry a moderate case load of student appointments and drop-ins.
- Assist in office projects and other duties as assigned by the Director of the Career Center.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree.
EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated (three or more years) of experience in career development, college recruitment or related field. Experience in counseling, advising college student populations, employer and alumni relations, recruitment and marketing.
This position requires a flexible schedule including early morning, evening and weekend hours to support engagement with student and employer/alumni facing events. Local and regional travel required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong relationship building, program management, event planning, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Proven presentation skills and comfort level in dealing with the business, public sector and academic communities as well as a diverse population of students, alumni, faculty, parents and employers.
- Knowledge of national trends in career services, the job market, and diverse employer and student populations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong customer focus, attention to detail and an ability to deal with multifaceted fast paced environment.
- Ability and desire to market UMass Dartmouth students/alumni and establish relationships with employers.
- Strong technical skills; database management and familiarity with web-based recruiting software (Handshake preferred), client management systems, Microsoft Office (including excel) and online resources. Expertise in social media such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and blogs.
- A demonstrated understanding and commitment to building an inclusive environment.
- Ability to supervise student employees.
- Must be willing/able to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Master’s Degree in Higher Education, Business, Counseling, Communications, or related field of study.
- Experience in a college or university career center and/or university relations/HR for a company or organization with focus on recruitment and retention of college graduates
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is August 4, 2022.
The review of applications will be ongoing.