Computational Fluid Dynamics Postdoctoral Fellow - GRANT-FUNDED
Job no: 512964
Work type: Staff Full Time
Categories: Other Staff Positions
OFFICIAL JOB TITLE: Postdoctoral Fellow
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
WORKING TITLE: Post-Doc
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: Non-Unit
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EEO STATUS: 35
JOB CODE: 1965
REPORTS TO: Professor Robert Fisher, Physics Dept.
SUPERVISES: Graduate and undergraduate research assistants
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To conduct research under the supervision of Dr. Robert Fisher in the physics department at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, in collaboration with the University of Connecticut the Naval Research Laboratory; and potentially provide leadership and supervision for a group of graduate and undergraduate students. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will be member of a research group and will be expected to support research by means of original research activities, collaboration with team members, supervision and mentoring of junior members of the research team, and assisting with grant proposal preparation and administration. The successful candidate will work on self-consistent hydrodynamical simulations of type Ia supernovae.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and conduct multidimensional hydrodynamical simulations.
- Prepare and publish manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
- Assist with grant proposal preparation.
- Assist with grant administration.
- Supervise graduate and undergraduate research assistants and technical associates.
- Provide clear and regular communication to the supervisor on research progress, technique and findings.
- Present work at conferences.
- Engage with cross-disciplinary research.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent in astrophysics, astronomy, physics, or a closely-related field.
EXPERIENCE: Research Experience. Specific requirements include a background in high performance computing, and one or more relevant research areas (numerical hydrodynamics, turbulence modeling, and nuclear astrophysics).
OTHER: Record of peer-reviewed publications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong oral communication and writing skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to effectively supervise a research group
- Ability to originate ideas for new areas of research
- Ability to design and operate computational codes
- Ability to quickly understand new ideas, techniques and procedures
- Significant knowledge of the research area under study
- Ability to support the supervisor in all aspects of research
- Ability to write research reports for submission to outside agencies
- Ability to write grant proposals
- Ability to prepare and deliver high quality research presentations
- Specific research skills determined by the supervising faculty member
Effective September 27, 2021, UMass Dartmouth requires that all members of the campus community are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Additionally, all members of the campus community must obtain a Covid-19 booster shot by January 21, 2022, and provide proof when requested. Individuals who are not yet eligible to receive a booster shot must obtain one within 30 days from the date they become eligible.
To apply please submit a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three professional references.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend