About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Postdoctoral Associate will work closely with Dr. Nefertiti A. Walker and is expected to conduct high-quality research in the area of gender, race, diversity, inclusion, and equity in sport business and management.
We are at an important moment in sport business. Professional athletes are using their agency to shift the culture of sport towards increased diversity in leadership positions, equity in all aspects of business, and inclusive work environments. The post-doc will work with Dr. Walker, as well as a host of students, undergraduate and graduate, on numerous projects which seek to understand this cultural moment of intersectional reckoning, while also advancing sport culture forward through our findings, extension to theory, and industry recommendations.
The Postdoctoral Associate is expected to perform the following duties (all in collaboration with Dr. Walker and the Laboratory for Inclusion and Diversity in Sport):
- Design study instruments and protocols
- Develop theoretical frameworks and compose literature reviews
- Collect data (e.g., surveys, interviews, focus groups)
- Analyze social and organizational science data
- Communicate research findings orally and in written format for scientific presentations and publications, as well as to non-scientific audiences (i.e. industry, executive summaries)
- Teach one to two courses Fall 2021; teach one to two courses Spring 2022; no teaching assignments for Summer 2022
In addition, the Postdoctoral Associate will be encouraged to develop a personal research program.
- Ph.D. in a social scientific discipline (e.g., Sport Management, Sport Studies, Gender Studies, Sport Business, Organizational Behavior, Sociology, or related fields)
- Working knowledge of relevant theories and practices in sport organizational behavior, institutional theory, organizational culture, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong background in mixed-methods (e.g., qualitative and quantitative) research
- Demonstrated ability to carry out independent research
- Experience communicating research results via peer-reviewed publications and presentations
- Experience communicating about research with non-academic audiences
Compensation for this position will be $60,000 plus health benefits and technology startup including university-managed computer and agreed upon software and hardware needs. Post doc will receive reimbursement for one-time relocation fees (up to $3,000), a conference travel stipend of $2,000, and an office.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to the application, please submit (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a letter of interest, including a brief description of how this position relates to career plans, (3) statement of contribution to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and (4) the names and contact information of three references. We will begin reviewing applications on October 15, 2020. The priority consideration date is December 15, 2020. However, the position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.