Postdoctoral Research Associate - Lowell Center for Sustainable Production
Job no: 495714
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Anticipated salary range $50,000 - $50,000 annually
General Summary of Position:
A Postdoctoral Research Associate position in green chemistry and safer alternatives is available at the University of Massachusetts Lowell to undertake research and outreach on tools, drivers, and methods for that support that design, evaluation and adoption of safer chemistry. The Safer Chemistry Research Associate will work within the Chemicals Policy and Science Initiative (CPSI) of the Lowell Center for Sustainable Production, a world renowned initiative dedicated to advancing the development and adoption of safer chemicals and materials through research, development of tools and model policies, and strategic stakeholder engagement. The CPSI has two main initiatives: the Green Chemistry and Commerce Council, a network of over 100 leading firms working to overcome barriers to development and adoption of green chemistry; and the alternatives assessment project, an initiative to advance development and application of frameworks and tools for the evaluation of safer chemicals, materials, and products.
1. Working on research and outreach projects related to the Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3). This will be done alongside and under the supervision of the PI, including:
- Managing expansion of the Green and Bio-based Chemistry Startup Network through the Americas, including:
- Researching and building relationships with startups, larger companies, and academic and government research institutes in Central and South America undertaking research in sustainable chemistry
- Managing engagement with three regional hubs for coordination of the Americas Startup Network
- Organizing at least one regional technology showcase highlighting innovative green chemistry startups in the region
- Coordinating with Canadian research institutions in the green and bio-based chemistry space
- Working with the Green and Bio-based Chemistry Startup Network Lead on planning annual technology showcase and competition
- Supporting collaborative innovation projects, including:
- Conducting research on and identifying companies producing green chemistry solutions for chemical functions of concern
- Supporting establishment and execution of collaborative innovation projects with the Director of Collaborative Innovation
- Support other Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (Gc3) research projects, as appropriate
- Ensuring all project-related activities are conducted on time and to the highest standard
- Ensuring all deliverables are delivered on time and to the highest standard
2. Support Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3) outreach and engagement. The Post-Doctoral Research Associate will be involved in supporting Growth of the Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3) in both members and impact, including:
- Actively participating in the planning of the annual Innovators Roundtable, including planning at least one session
- Organizing additional events as needed to build the Startup Network
3. Undertake additional research related to alternatives assessment and green chemistry design. The Post-Doctoral Research Associate will be expected to dedicate time to work on or develop relevant research and engagement projects that expand the impact of the Lowell Center’s Alternatives Assessment initiative and Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3), as well as those of the University.
Other Job Duties:
Maintain relations with Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3) staff and consultants; provide chemistry support alternatives assessment and safer alternatives initiatives.
This role will involve occasional national and international travel that may involve overnight or day travel.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- An earned PhD in chemistry, materials science or engineering or a related field by the time of the appointment
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience in safer chemical evaluation, design, and/or adoption in industry, government, or the non-profit sector
- Demonstrated knowledge of/interest in green chemistry
- Ability to work as a team player
- Strong technical report writing and communication skills
- Capable of working on several projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Knowledge of software platforms
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- A record of publication
- Experience with collaborative interdisciplinary research
- The Green Chemistry & Commerce Council (GC3) works in a high pressure environment and the position of Post-Doctoral Research Associate will involve working under pressure to strict deadlines
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding. The initial appointment will be for one year with a possibility of renewal contingent upon funding and successful performance.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend