Job no: 494259
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Lowell
Submillimeter Wave Tech
Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
General Summary of Position:
The Submillimeter-Wave Technology Laboratory (STL) at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is looking to fill a full-time, benefited, senior staff scientist position in the areas of materials science and optical materials engineering. STL is a vibrant, forward-looking Laboratory that runs a nationally recognized radar-modeling program supporting government-sponsored electromagnetic signature collection and materials development efforts.
A individual is sought to electromagnetically model, fabricate, and optically characterize materials and components used in radar imaging and remote sensing projects such as artificial dielectrics, metamaterials, and electromagnetic absorbers in the microwave through terahertz regions of the spectrum. The candidate should be motivated, growth-oriented, and capable of demonstrating their potential as a productive scientist.
The candidate must be willing to work in small groups to meet team goals as well as operate independently to achieve individual goals. The candidate must be able to prioritize, handle multiple tasks, be self-motivated, and able to work with limited guidance.
An important component of this position requires developing new research funding activity, either independently or through collaboration with STL or other University research staff. Individuals with a prior publication record and/or successful proposal generation activity will be given preference.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Advanced degree in Physics, Materials Science, Optics or related science/engineering field
- Experience with the design, fabrication, or characterization of IR, THz, mm-wave, etc. optical components/materials such as thin films, frequency selective materials, absorbers, metamaterials, optical filters, etc.
- Understanding of the fundamental optical properties of dielectric and metallic materials
*Will consider candidates with B.S. degree and 6+ years experience
- Experience with infrared, THz, or millimeter-wave dielectric characterization techniques such as TDS, FT-IR, vector network analyzers, or related optical systems is desirable
- LabVIEW programing skills, computational electromagnetic modeling (CEM) skills, and/or optical modeling software experience is highly desirable
- The ideal candidate will have the ability to work effectively with diverse groups as well possess solid oral/written communication, interpersonal, and deadline management skills
- The candidate must be able to obtain a US government security clearance within 3 months from the date of hire and retain the clearance while employed at STL
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only current UML Employees within the Grants & Contracts (MTA/GRACE) bargaining unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
This position is contingent upon funding.
Please include a resume, cover letter and research statement with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend