Project Manager, New Venture Development (part-time/non-benefited)
Job no: 493801
Position type: Staff Part Time
Non-Benefited – Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
New Venture Development
$30 - $33/hour
General Summary of Position:
The Program Manager of New Venture Development (part-time/non-benefited) will work closely with the NVD Director to develop and implement strategies, events and programs to engage faculty to foster entrepreneurship, innovation and research commercialization.
A key part of the University’s mission to be an entrepreneurial institution, the NVD department focuses on inventions, discoveries, products and services that have been developed in whole or in part at UMass Lowell, have achieved proof of concept (or an early prototype) and are ready for commercial product development, rather than those requiring further basic research. Once such a technology has been identified, NVD partners with the UMass Lowell community and alumni as well as its strong external network to identify and develop a compelling business plan, a strong management team and solid financial backing (from NVI, angels and venture capital investors) to launch an independent commercial venture.
This effort involves direct interaction between the entrepreneurial team, NV staff, the River Hawk New Venture Fund Investment Advisory Board and New Venture Fellows, as well as with other entrepreneurs and mentors to:
- Identify key intellectual property required for spinout;
- Create technical design plans and enable related development of functional prototypes;
- Define and develop a compelling business strategy;
- Identify human resources needs and build entrepreneurial management teams;
- Facilitate legal, accounting, insurance, real estate and recruiting decisions and resource allocations;
- Assist with early business development, potential customer interactions and business/development partners;
- Structure, fund and launch the new ventures;
- Assist with the transfer or licensing of intellectual property, physical assets and human resources; and,
- Cultivate intellectual property from multiple sources to expand the UMass Lowell startup pipeline to include companies in our well-established medical device incubator, Massachusetts Medical Device Development Center (M2D2), our new Innovation Hub, startups utilizing UMass Lowell research and entrepreneurs working with the University to further their own concepts.
- Provide supervisory oversight to student interns
- Develop and document best practices for growing start-ups and mentoring programs
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelors degree required or higher degree
- 5-7 years of experience in program management and events planning; start-up community management a plus
- Ability to work independently, but within a close knit fast-paced team
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to handle multiple and complex tasks and projects concurrently
- Commitment to teamwork and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues from across the institution
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in program development and evaluation
- Demonstrated skill to work within a complex environment with strong capabilities in planning, organizing and managing
- Demonstrated energetic and visionary leader
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Affinity with the overall mission of the University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Ability to relate to and forge strong working relationships with a variety of internal and external constituencies
- Proficiency at working multiple projects simultaneously with varying timeframes
- The work in this position is intellectual, varied and requires flexibility and adaptation to change
- Ability to work effectively with diverse audiences
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a part-time, non-benefited, non-unit position.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume, cover letter and writing sample with your application.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend